Monday, September 23, 2013

Northern Alligator Lizard Habitat at Discovery Bay

This south facing shoreline bluff at Discovery Bay had abundant lizards. Initially I did not really notice the scurrying of the lizards as I walked along. It wasn't until afterwards their presence registered.
 

The habitat is the result of a number of factors. The site had a south aspect, is in the dry rain shadow of the Olympic Range, had extremely well drained sandy soils from recessional outwash gravel and sand and a frequency of slope failures that was not too extreme to wipe out the habitat, but maintained open areas, and a built up beach with lots of drift wood for hideouts. Alas, I was not quick enough to get any pictures once I realized what I was seeing. But still a great example of geology, climate and landslides creating a unique critical (for lizards) habitat.  burkemuseum.org/herpetology/reptile/northern_alligator_lizard
 
 



1 comment:

Dave Wenning said...

I have been spotting them on South Fidalgo also, with similar habitat. They also like rip-rap for sunning. You're right, though, very fast and camera shy.